1. Defender passes ball to attacker (roll out) to start this 1v1 defending drill.
2. Attacker tries to pass the ball through the gate to score.
3. Defender wins by gaining possession or clearing the ball up field.
Coaching Points: 1v1 Defending
1. Close down space and be 1-2 steps away from the attacker. Can you reach his knee? By getting close we force their head to go down.
2. Jockey, be patient and stay relaxed.
3. Force the attacker onto their weak foot.
4. Be on your toes.
5. Keep your feet moving.
6. Keep your eye on the ball.
7. Win the ball with confidence when the time is right. Don’t just reach and lunge for the ball with your foot.
Relevant Age Groups:
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17, U18, U21 and Older
Click here for Individual Defending Technique.
Thoughts? Leave a comment or a suggestion below.
Check out my eBook “50 Soccer Training Exercises” for more training session ideas.
- 60 Cones
- Coordination Tools – Hoops, Hurdles, Ladders
- Tactical Board
- Poles (Optional), Training Mannequins (Optional)
- A Ball per Player
- 3 Colours of bibs
- A Watch
- A Pump
- Air Pressure Gauge
- A Whistle (windy day).
Soccer Drill Categories:
- Warm Up Drills
- Passing Drills
- Receiving Drills
- Shooting Drills
- Attacking Drills
- Defending Drills
- Combination Play Drills
- Fitness Drills
- Small-Sided Games