1)The defenders pass the ball to the attacker to begin the 1v2 defending scenario.
2) The attacker comes down the pitch trying to score a goal.
3) The defenders attempt to deny they player from dribbling through the grid.
Can progress to a 2v2 or 2v3.*
Coaching Points: 1v2 Defending
- Staggered stance
- Chest leaning over the toes.
- Low center of gravity
- Jockeying, Ability to shuffle quickly.
- Collective compactness, cover and balance.
Relevant Age Groups:
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17, U18, U21 and Older
Check out this exercise for proper “Individual Defending Technique“.
Check out my eBook “50 Soccer Training Exercises” for more training session ideas.
- 60 Cones
- Coordination Tools – Hoops, Hurdles, Ladders
- Tactical Board
- Poles (Optional), Training Mannequins (Optional)
- A Ball per Player
- 3 Colours of bibs
- A Watch
- A Pump
- Air Pressure Gauge
- A Whistle (windy day).
Soccer Drill Categories:
- Warm Up Drills
- Passing Drills
- Receiving Drills
- Shooting Drills
- Attacking Drills
- Defending Drills
- Combination Play Drills
- Fitness Drills
- Small-Sided Games