- Players play a 2v2 transition game.
- When a goal is scored the defenders are out and two new players join, attacking the team that has just scored.
Coaching Points: 2v2 Transition
- Dispersal. Open up the field long and wide.
- Angles of support (provide an option left, right, central, short or long).
- Off-ball movement.
- Combination play (1-2s, overlapping runs).
- Communication (eye contact, vocals, gestures).
- Penetration, let’s get to goal.
- Cut the field in half with your body shape and position.
- Influence the attacking team to play towards your support defender.
- Delay, Support, Balance.
- Patience, staying relaxed.
- Timing the tackle.
- Protect the middle at all costs.
Relevant Age Groups:
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17, U18, U21 and Older
Check out this exercise for proper Passing and Receiving Technique.
Check out my eBook “50 Soccer Training Exercises” for more training session ideas.
- 60 Cones
- Coordination Tools – Hoops, Hurdles, Ladders
- Tactical Board
- Poles (Optional), Training Mannequins (Optional)
- A Ball per Player
- 3 Colours of bibs
- A Watch
- A Pump
- Air Pressure Gauge
- A Whistle (windy day).
Soccer Drill Categories:
- Warm Up Drills
- Passing Drills
- Receiving Drills
- Shooting Drills
- Attacking Drills
- Defending Drills
- Combination Play Drills
- Fitness Drills
- Small-Sided Games