- Instruct the attackers to exploit their numerical advantage and finish with a shot on goal.
- Defenders should attempt to break-down the attack and will gain experience in how to cover a one-down situation (4v3 defending). Defensive players should complete a pass to the coach to end the attack.
- The coach should then give the ball back to the attackers to build the attack again.
Coaching Points: 4v3 Defending
- Contain the play and keep the ball in front of the defense.
- Early pressure and do not allow space behind the defenders.
- Team compactness, cover and balance.
Relevant Age Groups:
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17, U18, U21 and Older
Check out this exercise for “1v1 Defending”.
Check out my eBook “50 Soccer Training Exercises” for more training session ideas.
- 60 Cones
- Coordination Tools – Hoops, Hurdles, Ladders
- Tactical Board
- Poles (Optional), Training Mannequins (Optional)
- A Ball per Player
- 3 Colours of bibs
- A Watch
- A Pump
- Air Pressure Gauge
- A Whistle (windy day).
Soccer Drill Categories:
- Warm Up Drills
- Passing Drills
- Receiving Drills
- Shooting Drills
- Attacking Drills
- Defending Drills
- Combination Play Drills
- Fitness Drills
- Small-Sided Games