Set up as per diagram: Attacking team is sets up with 1 winger, 1 striker and 2 attacking midfielders. Defending team with GK, LB, and 2 CB’s. 3 target players (T) are set up as per diagram.
1. Server player an attacking midfielder to begin the phase.
2. Attackers must score by playing an aerial ball to the strikers through the winger or the Midfielders. CBs will work on defending headers.
3. If the defending team wins possession, they score a point by playing ball into either of the target players.
Coaching Points: Defending Headers
1. Good balls from the attacking team.
2. Stay goal side but ready to step and intercept.
3. Travel as the ball is moving.
4. The nearest play to the ball should pressure (Immediate).
5. Communication between CBs.
6. Body position of the defender should be side on, low centre of gravity (bent knees). and on the inside shoulder of the forward.
7. One CB takes ball, the other covers space (cover and balance).
8. Deny the forward turning and facing goal where possible.
Relevant Age Groups:
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17, U18, U21 and Older
Here is a training exercise for those that want to work on Headers Technique.
Check out my eBook “50 Soccer Training Exercises” for more training session ideas.
- 60 Cones
- Coordination Tools – Hoops, Hurdles, Ladders
- Tactical Board
- Poles (Optional), Training Mannequins (Optional)
- A Ball per Player
- 3 Colours of bibs
- A Watch
- A Pump
- Air Pressure Gauge
- A Whistle (windy day).
Soccer Drill Categories:
- Warm Up Drills
- Passing Drills
- Receiving Drills
- Shooting Drills
- Attacking Drills
- Defending Drills
- Combination Play Drills
- Fitness Drills
- Small-Sided Games