Defenders are going to be working on defending the dribble.
- The attacking team dribbles at the defender.
- If the player successfully makes it through the grid and out the other side by dribbling, he then plays to the first player in the line he is facing.
- If the defender wins the ball, or the ball is knocked out the sides of the grid, the player losing the ball becomes the defender.
- The player who won the ball or forces the player out of bounds passes the ball to a teammate in line who now attacks the new defender in the middle in attempt to get through to the other side and pass to the next player in line.
When defending the dribble focus on:
1. Defensive stance (Staggered).
2. Knees bent.
3. Low center of gravity
5. Apply pressure, keep the right distance.
High Intensity *
Players must be quick on transition *
Relevant Age Groups:
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17 and Older
Here is another exercise to help players with their Defending Technique.
Check out my eBook “50 Soccer Training Exercises” for more training session ideas.
- 60 Cones
- Coordination Tools – Hoops, Hurdles, Ladders
- Tactical Board
- Poles (Optional), Training Mannequins (Optional)
- A Ball per Player
- 3 Colours of bibs
- A Watch
- A Pump
- Air Pressure Gauge
- A Whistle (windy day).
Soccer Drill Categories:
- Warm Up Drills
- Passing Drills
- Receiving Drills
- Shooting Drills
- Attacking Drills
- Defending Drills
- Combination Play Drills
- Fitness Drills
- Small-Sided Games