- P1 rolls the ball out and plays a pass to P2 to begin the early high cross sequence. P1 then makes an overlapping run to the far post.
- P2 plays a diagonal ball to P3 who should already be in motion. P2 makes a run to the near post.
- P3 send an early High cross into the box. P1 or P2 must finish with a header or volley.
P2 can lay off to P1 in the box*
Allow the players to get creative in the box*
Add defenders and attackers as a progression*
Switch the flanks*
Coaching Points: Early High Cross
- Passing Triangle (weight, timing, accuracy of the pass).
- Game tempo.
- Quality first touch.
- Lift on the Cross.
- Clinical in the box.
- Harmonious Spirit.
Relevant Age Groups:
- U9, U-9, Under 9, 9 and Under
- U10, U-10, Under 10, 10 and Under
- U11, U-11, Under 11, 11 and Under
- U12, U-12, Under 12, 12 and Under
- U13, U-13, Under 13, 13 and Under
- U14, U-14, Under 14, 14 and Under
- U15, U-15, Under 15, 15 and Under
- U16, U-16, Under 16, 16 and Under
- U17, U18, U21 and Older
Check out this exercise for “Switching the Play”.
Check out my eBook “50 Soccer Training Exercises” for more training session ideas.
- 60 Cones
- Coordination Tools – Hoops, Hurdles, Ladders
- Tactical Board
- Poles (Optional), Training Mannequins (Optional)
- A Ball per Player
- 3 Colours of bibs
- A Watch
- A Pump
- Air Pressure Gauge
- A Whistle (windy day).
Soccer Drill Categories:
- Warm Up Drills
- Passing Drills
- Receiving Drills
- Shooting Drills
- Attacking Drills
- Defending Drills
- Combination Play Drills
- Fitness Drills
- Small-Sided Games